Sunday, June 28, 2015

First track event completed!

It didn't perform as well as I'd hoped. The car handled great, but it was the first time this drive train has been used in anger, and so there was bound to be some teething problems...

I found that the Soliton1 motor controller was limiting the max current after only a couple of laps. It was down to as low as 300A or so at full throttle! That meant a long slow crawl up the hill towards the corkscrew... Argh! When I returned to the paddock I found that the coolant lines from the heat exchanger were cold, while the controller was hot. The pump was running, so I must have air in the system. I suspected the routing of the hoses and the lack of a reservoir at the highest point was not going to work well, but I didn't think it wouldn't work at all! Anyway, I've ordered an OBX 1 1/4 quart universal coolant expansion tank, and I'll re route all the lines a bit better.

Another thing that happened was that the vacuum pump pressure switch has stopped working. I guess it just couldn't take the heat. So, I'm taking this opportunity to replace the vacuum pump with a Hella UP30 and a nicer vacuum reservoir, along with a new PSF109S 81-330 pressure switch.

All in all, it was a really fun event, and it was fun to chat with other early adopters.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Rear splitter installed... Really finishes off the rear end. Now it should be clear there's no exhaust :-)